July 02, 2013

Skin Food Lettuce and Cucumber Water Drop Essence Review


Typical Skin Care Purchasing Scenario:


You spend an entire day trying to find the best product for your skin type / weather / money. You end up feeling really broke and tired and unproductive because obviously, you can't afford the 5 different creams you found online and because you have only one face. So you agonize. Which product can I get better results with for less cash out? (~But the packaging of the other one is just SO pretty!~) It's an internal battle, and after what feels like pulling teeth, you finally settle on your final list and feel excited just with the prospect of using them. Visualize them sitting oh so prettily on your dresser next to the other stuff you painstakingly shopped around for, before. So you go the store, look through the shelves, but you can't find what's on your list so you ask the lady, "Miss, is this all? Where is the <insert product name here>?" and she says, "Sorry, not available."

*cue pulling of hair and sound of my heart breaking*

No, but really, that was the scenario from the day I bought the Skin Food Lettuce & Cucumber Water Drop Essence. :( I originally planned to get the Skin Food Royal Honey Hydro Cream which has glowing reviews on their website, but woe is me, other people wanted that too and exhausted the store's stock. I couldn't go back to the hotel and repeat the entire process of research-agonize-finalize, so I had to find something else since I was already at the store and had money I was willing to burn spend. XD


It comes in a matte mint green frosted glass bottle (really beautiful, heehee) which houses 45ml of product. It has a pump which, in theory, makes things hygienic and easier, BUT! (there is a large BUT on this one) after using up around 60% of product, nothing comes out anymore. I literally have to twist the cap, and dig around using the little plastic tube and place it on the back of my hand. Not hygienic at all! Plus, the cap is difficult to remove and put back in the beginning, so I had the cap off most of the time.


 
Where the Skin Food Lettuce & Cucumber Water Drop Essence shines is in the consistency of the product. It's a lightweight, gel texture, which slowly breaks down to water particles upon contact with the skin. It glides on smoothly, and settles into a non-greasy, soft feel. It's great for the summer! It's not oily or sticky, and even becomes slightly matte because it doesn't have the shiny, dewy look. (which I actually love, huhu ;__;) That's a plus for people, but I prefer a dewy, bouncy, "boingk-boingk" look, so to each their own. :)


The thing is, it's an okay product. It doesn't suck, and it isn't holy grail material, either. I didn't expect much, because this is really inexpensive (I got this for 65 HKD / Php 360 -  so cheeaaaap lahhh!). It's a mediocre step in my skincare, but there is a silver lining! Because I found that this is a good hydrator right before I apply my foundation or BB cream. It makes application really smooth and helps my base makeup sink better onto my skin, making it look more natural! I could attribute why I like using this essence under makeup to its not so amazing hydrating powers, but it's just right for hot summer days when you don't want to look like a melting popsicle. XD A word of warning to people who aren't so enthusiastic about fragrance in their skincare: It has a strong apple like smell (which I actually loved during the first 5 applications, but grew tired of quickly).  



Conclusion

For 65 HKD / Php 360, (roughly 10 SGD since a lot of readers are from Singapore!) you can't really go wrong. I'd recommend this for people with oily skin looking for a hydrator or a makeup base, or those who have combination skin and live in warmer climates. Still though, you could just save your money and buy a better product, but this is a non-offensive, light essence that feels fresh and light on the skin. It's crazy how much they jack up Skin Food prices here in the Philippines. I'm not sure if my memory serves me right but I think they sell this for Php 1,200 / 35 SGD. Not worth it!

Would I repurchase?

Nope! There are still a lot more products I want to try out! I actually need a good lightweight cream to use during the day, any suggestions for someone with dry skin like mine? Leave them in the comments below! :)

I'll be reviewing the Kose Softymo Deep Cleansing Oil + posting up my skincare routine very soon, and my sister A will be reviewing the entire Laneige Water Bank line so watch out for those :D

2 comments:

  1. Came across your blog while searching for 3ce products review, great blog i must say! keep up the good work :) I have a very dry and a lil sensitive skin, would recommend 'For beloved one Extreme hydration' day time moisturiser, works prefect for me, it keeps the moisture and gives the skin a dewy healthy look after applying. it has a.....milky scent which I don't really fancy as I normally prefer those without scent, but it's not a bad smell I must say. I got it at MYR 168 for 100ml.

    I have tried 'Philosophy hope in a jar' moisturiser as well but it doesn't turn out as good as the rumour has it, at least for me (read in a Taiwanese web that even Karl Lagerfeld recommends it). I had red bumps on my cheek days after I started using it, and I thought maybe i have some acne breakout, but days later it was on my cheeks and forehead, and they are big visible red bumps. I was sacred that they might become worse so I have stop using it. I got it at MYR 179 for a mere 60ml :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly suggest Iwhite moisturizer. It is very cool on the skin (literally) just like water and is not sticky at all.!! Been using it for 2 years now and not planing to switch to a different brand. ;)

    ReplyDelete